Thursday, September 07, 2006

Steve Irwin, Rest Week, Back to School & Wasaga Weekend


First of all, my condolences go out to the family of the "Crocodile Hunter", Steve Irwin. By now we all know how it happened and it is a sad story. I enjoyed watching his show and imitating his accent. He will be missed by all his fans.

For the full week (August 28-September 3) after Ironman Canada, I did absolutely no exercise whatsoever. I was tempted to run a few times but held myself back.

I did kick off my re-introduction into "exercise" with a round of golf on Monday at Wooden Sticks. I played crap (still under 100), but it was nice to treat my father in law and I at least got my money's worth with the buffet breakfast and lunch afterwards. When I got home my guilt got the best of me and I went out for a 23 minute run. The first 10-15 minutes felt horrible but I started to come around after 20 minutes and wanted to keep going. No need to go gangbusters on the first run after IMCAN so I shut it down.

Tuesday - Back to school (Work). The first day back is always hectic and exciting (great to meet the new crop of kids to see what is in store for the rest of the semester). It looks like I have a nice group of kids, but it is only the first day. Dropped by D'Ornellas to pick up Siena. Had nice chat with Eon and headed for home. On the way I saw KFC and I could not resist. It was Toony Tuesday after all. I paid the extra dollar and got a 3 piece with fries. It tasted great. But I knew the after affects would be coming.

Got home and felt absolutely knocked out. What a tiring day. I eventually got inspired to go for a run. I never run with my dogs but for some reason I took Nubie (my oldest Boston terrier) out with me. I'm glad I did. She actually paced me to go a lot faster than I would have. We did 15 minutes together (I think I will regularly utilize her as my warm up partner), and I went back home to get Bowden (my other Boston). Bobo is a lot heavier and not a huge fan of running. She did an admirable job but my paced slowed substantially with her. It felt great running with them and I know they love being outside so it was a big win for everyone. Nubie and Bobo helped me do a 27 minute run. The KFC I had earlier that afternoon did not re-surface at all. I was very surprised. Maybe I have to stop in again next week? I can't believe I am still just under 170 lbs.


Speedy Nubie (named after the Queen of Kona - Paula Newby-Fraser)


Bowden (aka Bobo) - Yes, she is named after Lori Bowden

Wednesday - Caved and stopped by the Golden Arches this morning and had 2 Sausage and Egg McMuffins. When I got home after work I was zonked once again. Non stop action packed day. The first week back is always like this and settles somewhat. I did manage to do a 40 minute run (avg hr 145) and covered 7 km. No doggies this time. I weighed 167 lbs after the run.

Thursday - Had 2 BLT Bagels at the Golden Arches. This time one for breakfast and one for lunch. After work I did a 15 minute bike ride on Siena, immediately followed by a brisk 16 minute run.

This is what is on tap for this weekend:

Saturday - Wasaga Beach International Duathlon (10 km run, 40 km Bike, 5 km Run)
Sunday - Wasaga Beach 1/2 Marathon

Should be an interesting weekend.
Wish me luck

Hoss

No comments: