Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mississauga Half Report - May 11, 2008

I wanted to run a sub 1:40 half-marathon and managed a 1:38:59. So considering that I ran in 1:46 last year, I was happy with my performance.

This was my 5th year running the event and it is still remains as one of my favourites because of the course, time of year, and organization.

I did have one complaint and that was the taste of the water at the aid stations. Major chlorine taste. It was as if they scooped it from their backyard swimming pool. My stomach was still acting 2 days after the race. I skipped a bunch of aid stations because I could not take in more of the stuff. Who knows?????

Although I am happy with what I did, I am not overjoyed. I had a faster finishing time within reach but my usual finishing 4-5 km kick was not there. My legs were toast. My quads were tight, my chronic left Achilles, calf and soleus problems surfaced, a nasty blister was developing by my right big toe, and add to that the strong wind during that final stretch. I just tried to maintain some sort of tempo to make sure that I at least got my sub 1:40. Not quite like the good ole days of 1:28, but I was also 20 pounds lighter then too.

After the race, I was waiting for a friend to finish and I was right beside Mike “Pinball” Clemons (A wicked football player, a class act, and he cut a promo for me during my radio broadcasting days) waiting for his wife to finish the half-marathon. As she approached the finish with her friend, he took a picture, ran up to both of them, and handed them both a bouquet of flowers. He got a huge “Aawwww” from everyone of course.

As soon as I recover, left calf still very sore, I look forward to switching gears to some longer training hours for Ironman Lake Placid in July. My next race will be the Lakeside Duathlon in June.

No comments: