Monday, November 09, 2009

Why I wont race Ironman Florida

I wanted to do this race so much when it first got going (flat and fast is my thing). Then I heard about the crazy drafting, and saw tons of videos on YouTube that showed the blatant cheating peletons. Here is a video taken from a helmet cam from this past weekend's IMFLA.

I honestly have zero desire to do this race (but I hope that changes one day) because if I did it, I think my result might be tarnished since people will wonder if I drafted too. This has nothing to do with the WTC and race organizers, just the athletes that cheat. And it sure looks like a ton of them. Regardless of how many athletes are on the course, you still need to get out of the draft zone. This does not appear to be happening. But I do admit that maybe organizers should look into wave starts to spread things out.

I will stick to a true and honest Ironman test (even though it kicks my butt every year), Ironman Lake Placid. I dare these drafters to pull off the same bike split at IMLP.

Congratulations to a bunch of my fellow swim club pals (Clare, Karen, Kristin, Ed, Dan..I think that is it?) that raced and finished their first Ironman race. I know you are not the type to draft so this whole rant was not directed at you. I sure hope you were not affected by the cheaters and still enjoyed your day and accomplishment.

See you at the pool.






No comments: