Thursday, April 30, 2015

RIP Jimmie Georgas

I knew someday I'd have to write about this great man, but there is no way to really prepare for it.


Jimmie was a true legend in every way. As an athlete, and a top notch guy. I've got too many stories and that wouldn't scratch the surface of what Jimmie was all about or all the things he'd experienced.

Near the end of his racing career, I got to know Jimmie quite well. The last time I saw Jimmie, he invited me to his place for the weekend so we could hang out and so I could sleep over and have a quick and convenient drive over to Wasaga Beach to race. Unfortunately, my plans changed and I never raced and nor did he. Jimmie raced his last duathlon in 2008.

How crazy is it that I was cleaning up my home office last week and came across a letter and some pictures that Jimmie sent me via good old fashioned mail, and now this week I find out that Jimmie passed away on Monday.

I hope to write something more about Jimmie soon.

If you knew Jimmie and would like to leave a note of condolence, visit Jimmie's Book of Memories page.


No comments: