Thursday, July 31, 2008

I'm Walking, IMLP Pics & Roger's Cup

Hello again!

Still busy doing a lot of stuff like..................walking, woo hoo!!!

Once out of the cast, every day feels better and better and much progress is being made. While my walk does not look great (Achilles is still fairly tight but not like last week), there is less of a limp each day. I've been to physio (at Physiobility) 2 times this week and I am getting awesome treatment. I highly recommend them if you ever need treatment. Lots of hydrotherapy, ultrasound, massage, and laser.

I get to do all of the stretching and range of motion exercises on my own. I even got on the bike Wednesday (indoors) for 15 minutes. I was not riding all that fast or forcefully but I was pleased to be back riding. The Achilles was tight at the start but loosened up more at the end to decrease the pain. I wore bike shoes but did not clip into the pedals on the left side. Not enough strength or guts for that yet. I'll try riding again today.

I took a few pics of myself to see how much my left calf reduced, but as you can see I actually looks bigger. However, the reality is that the muscles are all mush. It it likely bigger due to swelling and the fact that my right leg was taking most of my weight as I took the picture. But the good news for me is that I did not sustain major shrinkage. I've seen lots of pictures with some major atrophy happening on the injured leg. Let the recovery continue.



After finally uploading these pics, I can finally congratulate a few buddies on their finishes at Ironman USA Lake Placid. Way to go Angus, Gord and Rick. That was the toughest day IMLP has ever seen and I sorta glad I missed it. I signed up for the 2009 race a few days ago so look out boys, I'm anxiously awaiting to make up for this year. Here are some pics from the soggy day.


Prior to the swim start - Just half of the athletes.

Showing some art skillz - making a sign for my buddy Angus


The wife's new shirt - that is me squeezing into a women's small. Do I need a manzier?


Angus heading out in the downpour


Rick
Gord
James Bonney (got hypothermia and dropped out--you'll get them next time)
Desiree Ficker (great athlete but the wet and cold shut her down too)
Men's Winner (Francisco Pontano)
Stephanie Dubois
Jelena Jankovic & Ana Ivanovic
On top of recovering, doing my exercises, writing articles, and finishing an online course, I've been watching the Roger's Cup from Montreal. There is lots of great coverage going on and my favourite Canadian female tennis player (Stephanie Dubois) is playing right now. When I started this post they were in a rain delay but play has resumed and she has just lost the first set to Jelena Jankovic 6-3. It will be tough for her to advance to the quarter finals but I'll keep pulling for her. Ana Ivanovic (if you have been following this site you know I've been touting her for many years) will be playing later and I will be watching that too. Gotta go and catch the rest of the match.
Til next time. Thanks for reading. RH

No comments: