Thursday, December 03, 2009

2010 Training has begun

Last week, Ian at IMFIT.ca ran me through my start-up bike and bike fitness assessments. The numbers were fairly decent given I had used Sept-Nov. to gain weight, enjoy food and drink, and rarely engage in activities that resemble exercise. My VO2 max numbers were not outstanding (affected by increased body weight), but my aerobic base was good - pretty close to my best ever test numbers in May of 2008 (just days before my Achilles tendon rupture).

So with my training zones determined, on Monday, I officially started training for the 2010 season. I will be working with Ian this season, a relationship that goes back to 2005, but I took last year off took take a more relaxed approach to training.

OK! Relaxed meant taking it fairly easy and pain free - something I wanted to do as I returned from my Achilles surgery and subsequent recovery.

I knew things would be different this time around and in this first week, I can tell you that there are no wasted minutes in my training. It is so important to have the proper zones and thanks to my good aerobic base , my zones are making me work hard. For example, a zone 2 aerobic run for me would be 150-160. There is no coasting going on here.

So I am a bit sore right now and I haven't felt this since after my last race in mid-September. Training with a purpose and some kind of intensity will do that. I will also start back on Acid Zapper in a few weeks to test once again how the body feels. I regularly used it for 3 months and it worked well. I will confirm those finding again soon to see if I feel less soreness and if I experience performance improvements like increased bike wattage.

I still intend on posting here at least once each week - not promises though - but you are guaranteed to catch a weekly blog post here: http://mysportsshooter.com/category/rogers-world

Until next time
Happy training!
H

And there's more.....
A few hours after posting the above entry, I found this funny but real cause created by Ben Stiller. Check it out. Brilliant stuff.

No comments: