Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Another character building run

I was sort of looking forward to today's run, but mostly dreading it. I knew it had to be done in the hopes that it will all pay off at Ironman Canada and maybe next weekend too at Ironman Lake Placid. This is why I love this Ironman thing. Putting in an honest effort in the whole training process makes your tougher, and changes lives (I see it all the time at the races). Will it pay off for me in terms of race time? Hopefully, but if it doesn't it sure has made me tougher and in better shape. That is a huge reward in itself.

My legs were still sore from yesterday's Hill Repeat day (9 x 3:30 min.) and 90 minutes of tennis. Getting physio treatment done on my Achilles and knee after the run sure helped with reduced soreness today but it was still there.

I finally got out there at 330pm. It was mega windy and 26 degrees. Both Achilles and left knee were achy but after 2 hrs the pain mostly went away. I did 20 km in 2hrs and added another 12 km on top of that. I felt fairly good after. Just the usual soreness from doing a long run. I spent a ton of time stretching out my Achilles, rehydrated and drank 2 servings of Omega Whey (I still have to go through all those boxes I won at my last race in Welland).

Despite drinking 60 oz of water during the run, I lost 5 lbs. I had a nice pasta dinner, iced my knee and Achilles, wrote this and chilled out for the rest of the night.

Only a tough interval bike ride to do tomorrow morning before my 90 minute massage (that is going to be a nice reward), and the mini taper starts before IM Lake Placid next weekend.

Racing 2x on the weekend so look for some race reports.

RH




Here is my Dream Bike. Cool eh!

No comments: